According to the latest Amex Travel Trendex survey from American Express, there is a list of 10 cities that are the best travel destinations for 2023. And for 89% of respondents, taking a trip in 2023 to escape the routine is a serious consideration.
American Express reveals the best travel destinations for 2023
Only two locations in the US made the American Express list. The other eight destinations are located in Europe, Latin America and Oceania.
Top 10 destinations
These are the top destinations along with what American Express Travel Consultants recommends if you happen to be heading there.
1. Copenhagen, Denmark: Take a stroll through the charming streets of Nørrebro, step into the early 17th century at Rosenborg Castle, and discover the essence of Danish design.
2. Florida Keys: Vibrant Duval Street with shops, restaurants, museums and pubs as well as water adventures including a private sunset boat cruise and snorkeling with Florida dolphins.
3. Istanbul, Turkey: A stop at the Grand Bazaar, the Blue Mosque and the Hagia Sophia are some of the must-see destinations not to mention having a bite of Baklava, Turkey’s national dish.
4. Lisbon, Portugal: Lisbon is a sightseeing wonder of historical, cultural and culinary highlights with picturesque landmarks.
5. Mexico City, Mexico: From modern to ancient cultural experiences, Mexico City will awaken all your senses. This includes festivals, bazaars and everyday life in the city.
6. Montenegro: From pristine beaches and lakes to centuries-old monasteries perched on sheer cliffs, Montenegro offers some of the most breathtaking views.
7. Paris, France: From fashion to food, art, architecture and too much to list, Paris is one of the most visited cities in the world for a reason. It has it all and a tour would not do it justice.
8. Sydney, Australia: From the Sydney Opera House to Bondi Beach, Sydney offers fun and cultural attractions along with world-class dining.
9. Woodstock, Vermont: If you’re looking for a laid-back vacation, Woodstock offers a quiet escape with charming experiences and culinary experiences.
10. Yakuve Island, Fiji: In addition to relaxing on the iconic crystal clear beaches, you can also go on a boat trip and snorkel around the reefs and take part in learning about local traditions.
Local experiences are also popular
A large majority said they want to travel to destinations on their wish list, 70% agreed they already had an idea of where they want to travel next year. Interestingly, 73% said they would be willing to spend more for their ideal itinerary.
It’s not just about traveling around the world, as 88% said they also want to find local experiences to enjoy as well as learn about different cultures while traveling.
American adventure and comfort
On the American Express website, the company explained the popularity of the US destinations, saying: “Key West’s top attractions include vibrant Duval Street with its plethora of shops, restaurants, museums and pubs; and of course adventures on the water, including a private sunset boat cruise and snorkeling with Florida dolphins.”
At Woodstock, Vermont, the company added, “Wonderful experiences include sampling Vermont cheeses and hand-dipped maple syrup at the family-run Sugarbush Farm, a stroll down the newly created Ottauquechee River Trail, a comforting meal at Worthy Kitchen where guests are treated like friends and indulge in the spa at Woodstock Inn & Resort.”
Popular destinations around the world
The best travel destinations around the world include some famous travel destinations like Paris in France and Lisbon in Portugal. Other European destinations on the list include Copenhagen in Denmark and Montenegro, as well as the Europe-Asia border city of Istanbul in Turkey.
Get the latest headlines from Small Business Trends. Follow us on Google News.