Cristiano Ronaldo has trained at Real Madrid’s training ground in Valdebebas for a second day as the 37-year-old looks to stay fit as he looks for a new club.
The Portuguese star trained alone at the facility on Wednesday, according to Spanish outlet Relevo, following the country’s World Cup exit.
Ronaldo has been a free agent since mutually terminating his contract with Manchester United last month in the wake of his explosive interview with Piers Morgan.
Cristiano Ronaldo will reportedly spend a few days working at Real Madrid’s training ground
It has been reported that the 37-year-old asked Real Madrid president Florentino Perez if he could train at Valdebebas for a few days following his country’s defeat to Morocco in the quarter-finals of the World Cup in Qatar.
Perez gave Ronaldo the green light to use their facilities, reportedly telling the Portuguese star: “Of course, this is your home.”
And on Thursday, the forward spent another day at his former club, as reports said had returned to the training field.
Ronaldo cemented his legacy as one of football’s greatest ever players during his nine-year stay at the Santiago Bernabeu after moving to Spain in a then world record £80m deal from Man United.
Ronaldo (pictured in 2018) left Real Madrid for Juventus four years ago and is now a free agent
He won two LaLiga titles and four Champions League trophies at Real, while four of his five Ballon d’Or trophies were awarded to him during his time at the club.
It would be emotional for Ronaldo to return to the club’s training ground after what has been a turbulent period for the Portuguese forward since swapping Real for Juventus in 2018.
But he had to coach away from the club’s current group of players, led by his former manager Carlo Ancelotti.
Ronaldo had a good relationship with Madrid president Perez, who declared back in 2019 at Onda Cero: “Cristiano Ronaldo has never caused a problem in Madrid. He has been an example and I will remember him as the best player we have signed.
“He has always been exemplary, a professional like the cup to a pine. I have always had a perfect relationship with him and I have never had any personal or money problems.
Ronaldo is without a doubt Real Madrid’s best ever player after a trophy-laden nine years
However, Ronaldo said Perez’s attitude towards him had changed before he left the Bernabeu.
“I felt at the club, especially from the president, that they no longer assessed me in the same way as they did at the start,” he told France Football in an interview in 2018.
“For the first four or five years there, I had the feeling of being ‘Cristiano Ronaldo’. Less afterwards. The president looked at me with eyes that didn’t want to say the same, as if I was no longer indispensable to them, if you know what I mean.’
It’s a quick return for Ronaldo, with most players given a week to relax and recover from their respective World Cup exits.
Ronaldo wasted no time in returning to training, with his search for a new club likely to be a big factor behind it.
His contract at United was terminated following his interview with Morgan, in which he said he felt “betrayed” by the club and that he “disrespected” manager Erik ten Hag.
Drama continued to follow him into the World Cup after he was dropped by manager Fernando Santos for their World Cup games with Switzerland and Morocco.
Ronaldo has wasted no time after Portugal’s World Cup exit in the Round of 16 to Morocco
This led to reports that he threatened to go out against Portugal – something both he and the country’s football association denied.
He came off the bench in both games but failed to make an impact as they were knocked out in the quarter-finals by the African nation.
With the legendary forward set to turn 38 in February, the list of options appears to be limited.
An interested party in Ronaldo’s services is reportedly Antero Henrique, head of the Qatar Stars League.
Henrique reportedly went straight to Ronaldo to express his interest in bringing him back to the golfing nation after the World Cup.
He hopes Ronaldo will join a Qatari club, but the player’s agent Jorge Mendes is working on another proposal, the report claims.
Ronaldo left Manchester United last month following his explosive interview with Piers Morgan
There had also been reports that Ronaldo could join Saudi Arabian side Al Nassr on January 1.
But sources close to Ronaldo told Sportsmail that reports of a deal being completed were “nonsense”.
Ronaldo’s search for a new club can be done without the help of his agent Jorge Mendes.
It has been reported that his almost two-decade relationship with Mendes is beginning to fall apart with the player and agent apparently at odds over his next destination.
The Portuguese star’s financial demands will not help if he wants to remain in Europe.
Ronaldo kissed £16m goodbye after leaving his £500,000-a-week contract at Man United seven months early.
His search for a new club has reportedly been hampered by a “rocky relationship” with agent Jorge Mendes