David Warner: Australia batsman abandons sandpaper ban appeal over review process dispute | Cricket news

Australia opener David Warner has ended his bid to have his permanent managerial ban overturned, citing concerns that a review process set up by Cricket Australia would involve a “public trial” of his part in the Newlands ball-tampering scandal.

The former Test vice-captain was banned from the elite game for a year and from managerial positions for life in 2018 after he was convicted of starring in ‘Sandpaper-gate’.

Governing body Cricket Australia set up an independent process for players and staff looking to review long-term bans, allowing Warner to ask for his life ban to be overturned by an independent three-person panel.

On the eve of Australia’s second Test against the West Indies, Warner said he had withdrawn his application to the review panel because he was not prepared to subject his family or teammates to “further trauma and disruption”.

“Some things are more important than cricket,” the 36-year-old said in a social media post on Wednesday.

“They want to make a public spectacle of, in the panel’s words, having a ‘cleansing’. I am not prepared for my family to be the washing machine for cricket’s dirty laundry.”

Cricket Australia (CA) said it was disappointed with the result but respected Warner’s decision.

“Our intention was to give David the opportunity to demonstrate why his lifetime ban should be changed at an independent hearing and we changed our ethics policy accordingly,” a CA spokesperson said.

“We supported David’s wish for these discussions to be heard behind closed doors.”

Use the Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Cameron Bancroft said Warner suggested he tampered with the ball during Australia’s third Test against South Africa, in an interview with Fox Sports Australia

Warner said the lawyer assisting the review panel had created an “irregular procedure” that would turn his case into a public spectacle.

He said he had asked the panel to revise its procedural decision last week, but on Wednesday the panel responded with a “dismissive dismissal of the substantive issues”.

“It appears that the panel … is instead determined to carry out a public lynching,” Warner added.

Warner last month welcomed the chance to apply to the panel, but also criticized the CA for taking months to set up the process.

Australia's David Warner reacts as he returns to the pavilion after the dismissal on the fourth day of the third Test match between Pakistan and Australia at the Gaddafi Stadium in Lahore, Pakistan, Thursday, March 24, 2022. (AP Photo/KM Chaudary).
Picture:
Warner has re-established himself as a key player for Australia in all formats since the ban

Warner was one of three Australia players to be sanctioned during “Sandpaper-gate”.

Warner’s teammate and former Test captain Steve Smith was also banned for a year and from leadership roles for three years.

Former Test batsman Cameron Bancroft was banned for nine months and from leadership roles for a further year.

Both Smith and Bancroft have spoken publicly about ”Sandpaper-gate”, but Warner has kept the advice.

With regular Test captain Pat Cummins injured, Smith will lead Australia against the West Indies at the Adelaide Oval, having deputized for an Ashes Test against last year.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *