Immigration minister Robert Jenrick ‘should resign’ over migrant hotels, says Tory MP |  News about politics

Immigration minister Robert Jenrick ‘should resign’ over migrant hotels, says Tory MP | News about politics

A Tory MP has said Robert Jenrick should resign as immigration minister after the government allegedly moved asylum seekers to a hotel in his constituency with “mold and no kitchen facilities”.

Philip Hollobone, MP for Kettering, told MPs that dozens of asylum seekers were moved into a hotel in the town on Sunday which had “serious environmental health problems”.

These had been raised at a meeting with the Home Office and Serco, a government contractor, two days earlier, he said, and it was agreed that the hotel “would not be used until these issues were properly dealt with”.

Braverman does limits admission – politics last

At the meeting, Northants Police also raised “serious concerns about community safety and the vulnerability of asylum seekers themselves”, Hollobone said.

On Tuesday, Northamptonshire Council was told that 41 asylum seekers had been moved in on Sunday afternoon “with no notice at all”.

This number could rise to 80, he said.

“This is the wrong decision – the local police, the council and I have been misled and I have absolutely no confidence that the Home Office, Serco or the minister himself have the first clue what they are doing in relation to this movement of asylum seekers,” Hollobone said and added that Jenrick “should consider his position”.

Henry Smith, another Tory MP, called the Home Office “dysfunctional” and asked when it would “get a grip and deal with the core problem that this government has caused”.

The MP for Crawley said a “significant number” of hotels in his constituency had been used to house migrants, with one booked until July 2024.

This “started to cause tension in the community and also had an impact on business with these hotels that could not be used”, he said.

Use the Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Manston migrant center ‘now empty’

“Immense Pressure”

Mr Jenrick acknowledged there were “a number of serious issues” the Home Office needed to work on, including cutting the backlog of asylum cases, getting people out of hotels and finding decent but affordable accommodation.

However, he disputed Smith’s claim that the government had caused the problem, saying: “The primary focus of our attention should be on the tens of thousands of people who cross the Channel illegally.”

Accommodation for asylum seekers has become a focus in recent weeks due to severe overcrowding at a treatment center in Kent.

The Home Office confirmed yesterday that the Manston Centre, which is designed to hold 1,600 people for no more than 24 hours, was now empty.

About three weeks ago 4000 people were therewith some staying for several days.

The Home Office said officials had “worked tirelessly” to find alternative accommodation.

More than 40,000 people have crossed the Channel this year, thousands more than the 28,561 who crossed the whole of last year.

Click to subscribe to Sky News Daily wherever you get your podcasts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *