Fiery football broadcaster Lucy Zelic says A-League ‘sold its soul’ with ‘turn’ of decision to sell grand final to Sydney for three years
- Former SBS presenter Lucy Zelic has called out a “dastardly” decision by the A-League
- Sydney to host next three men’s and women’s grand finals, deal with NSW Govt
- A fired Zelic said A-League ‘sold its soul’, called development ‘despicable’
- Loads of supporters are furious, players like Craig Goodwin are also unhappy
- Melbourne fans have threatened to walk out of Saturday’s derby in protest
Outspoken soccer broadcaster Lucy Zelic has blasted the A-League, stating it has “sold its soul” after taking a “turd” of a decision to sell grand final hosting rights to the NSW Government for more than $10 million.
Zelic, 36, did not mince words following the announcement by Australian Professional League (APL) boss Danny Townsend on Monday.
The agreement will be in place for the next three seasons.
Previously, A-League men’s and women’s clubs that excelled in their respective finals series won the right to decide the hosts.
‘The [the A-League] sold his soul,” Zelic said on SEN’s The Run Home. “There is nothing good about this decision.
“The A-Leagues can dress this pig up all they want and they can call this jackass whatever they want, it’s still a jackass.”
Broadcaster Lucy Zelic has blasted the A-League, saying it has “sold its soul” by taking $10 million from the NSW Government so Sydney will host the competition’s men’s and women’s grand finals until 2025
Adelaide United and Brisbane fans (both teams pictured) will have to fork out for flights and accommodation to watch the grand final in Sydney for at least the next three years if their teams are in the decider
A blunt Zelic labeled the development “disgusting, despicable and shameful” and felt it was “a slap in the face to football fans who have really stood by their teams for many years”.
She then pointed to a scenario where Melbourne Victory and Melbourne City could progress to a men’s or women’s decider in the Harbor City.
Supporters must pay for flights, accommodation as well as grand final tickets.
Zelic also felt that Sydney-based fans would not be interested in seeing two interstate teams battle it out for the silverware.
The former SBS presenter wasn’t done, declaring on Monday that board members from the A-League men’s and women’s clubs should be held accountable for the decision as they continue to “line the coffers”.
Zelic also pointed to the rising cost of living as she outlined why the decision will see more supporters leave the game in Australia
An all-Sydney A-League grand final (both teams pictured) would be a promoter’s dream – but selling a decider in the harbor city between two interstate sides won’t be easy for a competition already struggling with low crowd numbers
On Tuesday morning, Zelic tweeted that the A-League has already tried to “Australian-ice” soccer in this country since the decline of the NSL, before wondering what the next move will be from officials.
Townsend confirmed the decision was made in consultation with all A-League men’s and women’s clubs.
In his eyes, it was important to establish a new tradition, which after 18 years had to be renewed to remain relevant.
“Change is difficult, the first reaction (from fans) will always be emotional,” he said.
“We hope and believe in the fullness of time that we will look back on this moment and people will be grateful that we had the confidence to make this decision.”